Volunteerism : Volunteerism is the heart and soul of our organization. We appreciate the myriad contributions of our volunteers, and recognize the power of thank you and of giving back. We seek to promote and encourage service among our stakeholders. We recognize and value the positive accomplishments that volunteers can achieve by working together. We believe that volunteers are positively impacted by our programs as much as the youth and communities we serve.
Integrity: Integrity forms the foundation of our organization. We demand the highest level of ethics. We grow our organization based on interactions that promote mutual trust and respect with our stakeholders and partners. We strive to ensure the highest level of organizational effectiveness by continually reviewing our programs and processes to improve quality and efficiency.
Excellence: We strive to continually raise our programs and business to new levels of excellence. We encourage entrepreneurship and innovation in business, education, and social responsibility. We develop creative solutions to address challenges and to utilize opportunities. We believe that leadership skills can and should be continually improved and refined.
Diversity: We value and embrace diversity. We seek out views that reflect all walks of life, and reflect those views in our programs. We are sensitive to the special needs and diverse backgrounds of individuals. We give all individuals an equal opportunity to be heard and to benefit from our programs.
Community Partnership: We value community partnerships. We recognize the importance of working with community organizations to strengthen our supportive network. We value the input we receive from our community partners, and strive to work together cooperatively and constructively for the betterment of all.
Mission & Objectives
- Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership provides lifelong leadership development opportunities that empower individuals to achieve their highest potential.
- To encourage and assist members of this formative age group in their quest for self-identification and self-development.
- To interface these potential leaders with recognized leaders in business, industry, government, science and education through give-and-take workshops using a question-and-answer format.
- To motivate these young leaders to their responsibility and the importance of volunteerism.
- To stimulate opportunities for these young people to demonstrate their leadership abilities when they return home for betterment of community and country through community service.
Results of the HOBY Seminars
The effectiveness of HOBY Seminars is noted in the results of the most recent evaluation of its Leadership Seminars.
- 80% of Ambassadors noted they had a better understanding of the free enterprise, economic and American political systems.
- 98% said, because of HOBY, they know what steps to take to be a better leader.
- 98% said, because of HOBY, they know why volunteering is important.
- 99% of the Ambassadors reported HOBY encouraged them to think independently.
- The evaluation found that HOBY encourages Ambassadors to set goals and that the responsibility for personal growth and leadership development is placed squarely on them.
HOBY’s Selection Process
Each September, HOBY Sophomore Registration Kits are sent to over 22,000 public, private and charter high schools in the United States. All tenth graders are eligible for selection to attend one of the three- or four-day weekend seminars held in their area each spring. A sophomore leader may be selected by each school and is certified by the principal.
HOBY’s seminars focus on the theme “Empower. Lead. Excel.” while encouraging the young leaders toward responsible citizenship, including community service and volunteerism.